Wednesday, January 30, 2008

No One's Gots To Know But Us


I am not looking to turn this blog into a political debate. The last post wasn't really about politics was it? It was about a picture of a candidate.

But now I am going to go a little political and suggest you visit the website glassbooth.org. It's a website that claims to make an unbiased recommendation as to your similarity to the candidates based on your answers to questions. The issues are linked to Wikipedia articles (again with the bias argument) that explain the issues if you aren't familiar with them enough to answer the question. The site also backs up their conclusions with direct quotations from the candidates on the issues; which have all been attributed to the candidates by other sources that I cross-referenced.

Now, I suppose for some of you whether you agree that the site is unbiased or not will depend on whether the site says that you are similar to the candidate that you already think you like. And it should be noted that the site only rates your similarity to the candidates on the issues; it doesn't rate character or a candidate's "like-ability."

The site gives you the three most similar current candidates and then allows you to see how you stack up against the other candidates, even the ones who are no longer running. You can also sort your results by the issues if you want.

I took the quiz three times with slightly different responses to the questions and found that my top three candidates were the same with slightly different similarity percentages. I also found that none of the candidates scored against me higher than 75% or lower than 54%. But I think that's a result of my centrist views on many of the issues. I have read many other sites that recommended this website that scored some candidates very high and very low.

Anyway, you've got nothing to lose and it only takes about five minutes. I'm not advocating voting according to this site's recommendations alone; it's just another tool to use in making an informed decision.

As I type this, I'm watching the circus that is the Reagan Library Debate (there are four candidates on stage aren't there? Shame on you Anderson Cooper! Moderate!) It would be easy in all of this craziness that is our nomination process to forget what a heavy responsibility voting is.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the link. I'm always wary of getting too into the debates at this point. I typically like to have a smaller group to choose from. The debates are seeming more & more like American Idol (or is it American Soundbite). I haven't chosen a particular "horse" yet. But...at least it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete