Thursday, May 15, 2008

So Now Then...

My last couple of posts have been things that I expect a certain amount of readers to approach skeptically. One of the posts is still hard for me to swallow (and I was there) and the other comes off as over dramatized sentimentality for the sake of...well...sentimentality.

That being said, why stop now. I'm gonna spin ya' another yarn that you probably are going to think I'm embellishing. The only problem is that it's true. Every bit of it.
About a month ago we were watching some television after dinner and the boys were playing. I can't remember what the show was but it's usually Animal Planet or Discovery if the boys are still up.

Well, during one of the commercial breaks that happened to feature a pretty model Luke says, "She's hot." I turned to look at him and then at Paula. We didn't say anything because we didn't want to encourage him. You see, Luke likes to be funny. I don't mean he likes to tell jokes. No he sits and waits for an opportunity to say something you don't expect.

Now, before we go any further, let me say that he didn't get it from me. At least I don't think so. I don't sit around the television and comment on who is pretty and who isn't. But I may have jokingly said it about someone who wasn't particularly hot. So you can see where Luke might have thought he was being funny.

Like I said before, we basically ignored it and went back to watching the commercials. Except that a minute later Luke says it again. I gave him a "Luke!" Not the "You're in trouble 'Luke!'" but the "I can't believe you just said that 'Luke!'"

This time he said it during a make-up commercial with the current Assistant District Attorney from Law And Order: Alana De La Garza (pictured at right.) His "joke" just happens to be timed when the woman on the television is hot. And the same could be said for the first commercial but I can't remember who was in it.

So it shouldn't have surprised me when a couple of moments later another attractive woman graced the screen hawking something and he said it again; "She's hot."

I really didn't know what to say and from the look on Paula's face, neither did she. In our stunned silence, Luke added this gem, "My penis is sticking out."

I couldn't believe it. I know that he didn't get THAT from me! What the hell is going on?!! What's going on at that school he goes to?!!

As dumbstruck as I was I knew I had to say something. And the only words that came to mind were these: "Leave it alone and it will go away."

Which, as it happens, is what Paula tells me.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey and I just found your post. I'm sitting here in tears, laughing my butt off. I can only imagine what Jonas will sy whens he's Luke's age.

    ReplyDelete