Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pop-up Videos Minus The Videos R.I.P.

Well, I had originally intended my music videos on YouTube to initiate conversations about songs that I like. Instead, I received a plethora of comments using curse words that other users didn't take the time to spell correctly. A lot of the comments were mean or just plain ignorant. And the majority of the negative comments came from people who had themselves not posted a single video; their only contribution being their vitriol.

There were others who seemed to enjoy my videos and for that, I sincerely thank them.

But the problem was also the fact that services are now readily available on the internet to convert Flash video (such as YouTube) so that it may be saved. Thus, my postings of songs which I did not originally think could be used to cheat the artist out of a buck, were doing just that. The Gambler had hit around 45,000 viewings, which isn't a lot for YouTube, but it's enough when you think that half of those viewings might have been used to avoid paying to listen to the song. In other words, I cheated Kenny Rogers out of about $22,500. Sorry Kenny.

Sorry, Polyphonic Spree, The Decemberists, and Elton John. I meant no harm. My efforts were based in an honest appreciation for your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment