Sunday, May 06, 2007

Update: Wait For It

So, last tuesday the watch guy calls me and leaves a message on my voicemail. He says, "Bill, it's Mitch with Hurley Roberts. Your new watch came in and we found your old one. Come by at your convenience."

"We found your old one."

This whole experience had renewed my feelings that I was living in a giant television show (click on the Truman label below.) Previously I had concluded that one reason why that wasn't possible was the notion of self-importance that would have to go with something like that. But this exercise with the watch was too ludicrous to be anything but scripted.

And now this?!

On the one hand I would be really glad to have my old watch back. On the other hand I was kind of excited about having a new and more rugged watch. So what if this whole thing was scripted? Maybe not a television show but a scam. Could this have been, from the beginning, an effort on their part to fix my old watch and then since they now have this extra watch sell me a new watch at "half price?" (It would be half of retail but probably more than they paid for it = they score a profit.) Do you run a scam for ten months? For a measely few hundred bucks?

I entered the repair shop not knowing what to expect. Mitch brought out both watches. He didn't say where they had located my watch but he did say that it still wasn't fixed. So for the price of the original estimate, $129.00, I took home the new watch. It took a lot longer than it should have, but I have, in the language of personal injury law, "been made whole."

And yeah, that's...wait for it... my arm it's on.

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed one of those unique situations. If such a thing like your watch adventure were to happen in a movie, many would not say it was not plausable. Complete fabrication. Utter hokum. Yet...true it is.

    curiouser & curiouser

    ReplyDelete