Friday, August 10, 2007

To Be Prepared Or Knot To Be Prepared

My career in the Boy Scouts ended with my Arrow of Light. I got it and bolted because, as a thirteen year old, I felt I didn't have any time in my busy life. Now, I can't wait until my oldest son is old enough to be in Cub Scouts. And Ben seems to share some of my interest. So far he has learned a Square Knot and a Slip Knot. (I fear I'm going to walk into the den and find Luke tied to the sofa.)

And you know, the fire department, at times, is very similar to the Boy Scouts. I mean there's the "Always be prepared" philosophy that both share. They learn to make fire, we learn to put it out. And every once and awhile we both have to tie knots.

It's like anything, some people get it right off, and some don't. I've got a few at my station that don't so I went looking on the internet for some sites that could help people learn their knots. I have some really good books, but I wanted something that was a little more interactive. And I found it.

This website is an excellent source. The owner has provided animations detailing how to tie the knots as well as dividing the knots into groups such as Boating, Search and Rescue, etc. Check it out and "enjoy."

No comments:

Post a Comment