Saturday, July 10, 2010

AFI 100 Review: #100 Yankee Doodle Dandy


Yankee Doodle Dandy
1942
Directed by: Michael Curtiz
Written by: Robert Buckner, Edmund Joseph, Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein
Starring: James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Huston, Richard Whorf

I have to admit, I really didn't want to watch this one. I had no idea what it was about so that really doesn't make sense. It's number 100 on the American Film Institute's list of the greatest movies of all time so that is where I started with my Netflix. It arrived and then sat next to the television for over two months. Paula finally sent it back assuming that I wouldn't watch it, but I was duty bound. And as if the universe was Hell bent on helping me on my way, Turner Classic Movies featured it for July 4th this year.

What I liked: Honestly? Not much. This really isn't my kind of movie. Not that I don't like musicals, because I do. This is a biography but it seems like one that tries to include too much. What you get is almost a skimming of the story. There was a little bit of comedy that I found appealing. I can distinctly remember at one point saying "That's funny." The bad thing is that I don't remember what it was so it couldn't have been life changing or anything.

The Acting: Cagney won an Academy Award for this, but he always just seems like Cagney to me. No, he's not the gangster on top of the world, but he's still Cagney. Sometimes that works (see John Wayne) but it doesn't work for me with Cagney.

The Music: This is a musical and there are a few full music numbers featured. None of them really struck me. As it happens, I really don't like the title song.

Cultural Impact: I bet this is pretty neat stuff to anyone who wants to know more about the life of George M. Cohan. But I don't. Yeah, the movie was released in 1942 not long after the United States entered the war. But there isn't really anything patriotic about this movie for me. Perhaps it reinforces the American Dream and perhaps that's what some of us were fighting for. I guess I like my patriotism a little more blatant and over the top.

Does It Belong On My List: Nope.

4 comments:

  1. My mother forced me to watch this when I was a kid. I thought the dancing was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you have any theories on why this one belongs on AFI's list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really. Probably a "you had to be there" sort of thing. It most likely tapped into the whole "The Yanks Are Coming" spirit of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most interesting thing for me about this movie and the AFI list is that AFI removed 23 of the original movies when it revised it's list ten years later. This film wasn't one of them. It actually moves up the list two places to #98.

    ReplyDelete