Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"The Gatekeeper," Atticus, and Oxycotin

Originally Posted November 15, 2002

First I must apologize for the length of time that has passed since I last updated this website. Time seems to be slipping away at an alarming rate and a lot has happened.

Sadly my paternal grandmother, Alyne Porteous Voorhies, passed away on September 26, 2002. The memorial service was very nice and I was a pallbearer. I also had the honor of reading a small composition about her maiden name during the service; how the name meant "gatekeeper" and how she fit the name so well. I miss her very much.

We also recently had to put Atticus down. He had a seizure one friday morning while I was home which lasted for over an hour. The veterinarian was able to break the seizure on the verge of lethal doses of anti-seizure medication but this monthly pattern was only getting worse. It's not an easy thing to get an 85lb. seizing dog into a crate and transport him to the hospital. Paula at home with Ben, while I played fireman, would not have been capable to deal with him in this state. The seizures were most likely the result of Cushings Disease which is usually caused by a tumor in the pituitary or adrenal glands. We had begun the testing to confirm and his symptoms were almost a perfect match. I was with him in the end. He enjoyed an entire bag of Pecan Sandies that morning. He was a good dog.

News in the world of the fire department, there's a new drug on the street: Oxycotin. It's synthetic morphine which is prescribed for heavy pain treatment. It is in pill form which means that there is a time release of the drug into the user's system. However, if you crush, dissolve, and inject the drug into your blood the effect can be sleepy sleep sleep sleepity sleepiness. Just ask the jack-ass around the corner from my station who overdosed one Sunday night not too long ago. Note to family and friends of users: Don't forget to tell the rescue personnel that the patient just shot enough sedative to induce a full respiratory arrest and lying about it only makes us mad. Anyway jack-ass made it. I'm sure after his close call he has mended his ways and now walks the straight and narrow.

I also have been reassigned to Station 2 in Brookhaven; The Brookhaven Express. We are just down Dresden Drive behind the MARTA station. Stop in if you're in the area.

Keith and Helen visited us two weekends ago. Helen, if you hadn't already heard, is a very smart, attractive, and funny woman that Keith has been seen with lately. Paula and I met the two of them at the Roadhouse Grill in the North Highlands for lunch. The food was worse than I remembered and I am sorry I suggested it. I hope they come back soon.

Tonight all of the Brunswick group got together for Tony Tiberia's and Lisa Smith's birthdays. It was fun and Paula and I really enjoyed being around all of those people. Happy Birthday to you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment