Thursday, March 15, 2007

Drake Bell

What follows is a review of the Drake Bell album It's Only Time written by Jeremy Frye and reprinted here with his permission. I wanted to share it with you for two reasons. First, I really like the album and want you to like it too (I have Jeremy to thank for introducing me to it.) Second, I wanted to share the review for the sake of the review. Jeremy, in my opinion, writes very well and has a gift for making each review unique (I, on the other hand, tend to fall into a pattern when writing about music.)

I have included a sample of two of the tracks at the end of this post.

Drake Bell-It’s Only Time (Universal Motown)

Twenty year old tweener heartthrob Drake Bell, star of Nickelodeon’s Drake & Josh, couldn’t be less on my radar. In fact the previous sentence features more information than I knew about him five minutes ago (I looked up his age). He dabbles in music, apparently, and his second album, It’s Only Time, was released by Universal Motown in December 2006. While I have no real preconceived notions of the boy, my instincts tell me I’d have no interest in his musical output. I’m glad I chose to override my instincts this go round.

The Beatles, specifically Yellow Submarine-era, are an obvious influence, but whether accidentally or on purpose, it’s impossible upon hearing this CD not to think of Jellyfish. The slick, polished arrangements and Andy Sturmer-like voice recall beyond flattery the oft-cited, under-selling early 90’s power-pop band. If you’ve ever heard 1990’s Bellybutton or 1993’s more ornate, Queen-like Spilt Milk, you will immediately recognize this precise imitation. The first track, “Up Periscope,” is a Jellyfish song through and through. During the kind of silly nautical intro, the voice over the intercom even says, “Do what you can do to avoid those jellyfish.” The guitar strum of “Makes Me Happy” is a direct cop of “Baby’s Coming Back.” Given the fact that this disc is presumably geared to teen girls, and Jellyfish’s relatively unknown status and commercial failure, it is easy to assume this is all coincidence, but one never knows.

What teen girls like makes even less sense to me now than when I was a teen boy, but I can’t figure them swallowing this CD beyond thinking the cover shot is dreamy. Sure, the lyrics are all boy-meets-girl stuff, but the shimmery, sweeping arrangements, thick harmonies, and weird instrumentation, sound enticingly out of place here. This is not R&B-flavored, over-singing boy band material. A few of these tunes, “I Know,” and the title track especially, would fit right in on Radio Disney, and even those are good songs. For the most part, though, this is an odd little sugary confection, a left-field surprise for power-pop lovers out there. As with any teen star, it’s hard to know if this is his vision or one of his handlers,’ but a little insight may be offered in the chorus to “Fool The World,” which says, “Everyone would love me, if I could fool the world.” Seeing as it will be nearly impossible for Bell to be taken seriously by the out-of-high-school music buying public, that statement rings surprisingly true.


Listen. For me the most Jellyfish moment on this entire album comes at 4:50 during this sample (the last sung line.)

Also you can check out his website for streaming audio of two more songs in the upper right hand corner. Click on "Media" and watch the video for "I Know." (I really want to cut his hair.)

2 comments:

  1. Well, after our round table discussion the other night, I thought I would pick this up, expecting to hate it, but willing to lose the $9.99. (I've spent much more or much worse being the philosophy here.) I just really liked this. Yeah, it's simple feel-good power-pop with uncomplicated lyrics, but you know, sometimes that stuff hits just the right spot. I popped it in with the whole family in the car and even the sullen 16 year old took to it, burning her own copy once we got home.

    And for all the talk about Jellyfish, about 30 seconds into the first song, Sherri commented, "Oh, that's Crowded House." "What can I say" I replied, "When it comes to music, Bill's not the most inconsistent guy I've ever met."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get e-mails whenever anyone leaves a comment. I didn't have any idea who "eegahinc" was until I saw the Zuni Fetish Doll. Glad you like the album.

    ReplyDelete