Sunday, September 09, 2007

iEulogy

There are only a handful of things that come into your world, and touch your life in a dramatic fashion. Some of the things are just flickers of light during a long life, while others are consistent glows for years. For me, my iPod was my consistent glow. It was my best friend for close to 4 years.

God works in mysterious ways. My iPod and I were sitting in my truck just six weeks ago. We were listening to songs, which we did every Saturday afternoon together. Songs about sports, politics and our lives. Then a song about death came up.

My iPod did something that will stay in my mind for a long time. During random play, it played Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road twice in a row. Six weeks later, here we are, minus one. My iPod gone from my life because of a damaged hard drive. I still can’t believe it is gone.

I was never really close to the other components of my stereo system. I had a few tape players growing up, but those were mostly childhood playmates. I had an early cd player and one of the first mp3 players. But we were never very close.

I met my iPod on my birthday and we hit it off immediately. We started hanging out with the same group of artists. I remember feeling so comfortable around it. I had never experienced that before with other components. For the first time, there was a consistent portable media player in my life, which I could turn to for friendship and support.

That friendship and support continued for the next 3 years. We both created playlists of our favorite songs. We shared some wonderful times together. I will never forget them.

I can honestly say that there are only a few hand-held electronic devices that have walked into my life and changed it forever. iPod, I love you. I miss you. You have graced my life more than you will ever know. God bless.

My iPod is survived by an iPod Nano and Shuffle.

3 comments:

  1. Before any of you ask, I should say that that was a free eulogy available on the internet that I simply susbstituted the word "iPod" everywhere there was a "Jeff." A few other changes and voilĂ , you have a overdramatized relationship with deceased electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sad...yet, romantic...yet, bizarre.

    ReplyDelete