Monday, October 29, 2007

The Pros And Cons Of Me

I had to take part in a leadership seminar last Friday and Saturday. A portion of the class was devoted to taking a personality profile to determine what kind of person/leader we were. Here are my results, unabridged, beginning with a word index of terms that apply to my personality type according to the answers I provided:

daring
domineering
demanding
forceful
risk-taker
adventuresome
decisive
observing
discriminating
reflective
factual
logical
controlled
retiring
fidgety
impetuous
restless
change-oriented
fault-finding
spontaneous
frustrated by status quo
fact-finder
diplomatic
systematic
conventional
courteous
careful
restrained


Creative Type Profile Pattern:
Emotions: accepts aggression; restrains expression
Goal: dominance; unique accomplishments
Judges others by: personal standards; progressive ideas for accomplishing tasks
Influences others by: ability to pace development of systems and innovative approaches
Value to the organization: initiates or designs changes
Overuses: bluntness; critical or condescending attitude
Under pressure: becomes bored with routine work; sulks when restrained; acts independently
Fears: lack of influence; failure to achieve their standards
Would increase effectiveness through: warmth; tactful communication; effective team cooperation; recognition of existing sanctions

Summary:
Persons with a Creative Pattern display opposing forces in their behavior. Their desire for tangible results is counterbalanced by an equally strong drive for perfection, and their aggressiveness is tempered by sensitivity. Although they think and react quickly, they are restrained by the wish to explore all possible solutions before making a decision.

Creative persons exhibit foresight when focusing on projects, and they bring about change. Since individuals with a Creative Pattern have a drive for perfection and demonstrate considerable planning ability, the changes they make are likely to be sound, but the method they choose may lack attention to interpersonal relationships.

Creative persons want freedom to explore, and they want the authority to examine and retest findings. They can make daily decisions quickly but may be extremely cautious when making bigger decisions: "Should I accept the promotion?" "Should I move to another location?" In their drive for results and perfection, Creative persons may not be concerned about social poise. As a result, they may be cool, aloof, or blunt.



Well, I've got to admit that the whole thing seems to hit the proverbial nail on the frikkin' head. I was really shocked by how accurate this whole assessment was; the good and the bad. I mean the process was pretty simple; you simply looked at 28 groups of four words and chose which one in each group descibes you the most and least. And VOILĂ€! It's you in a nutshell.

Why can't they give college kids this kind of an assessment? I could have skipped over that whole period that I thought I was a hippie. Or that period I thought I was a roughneck dock worker. Or that....never mind.

If you know me and feel like it, leave me a comment about how close you think this assessment came to the bullseye. You won't hurt my feelings. Remember, I'm aloof.

2 comments:

  1. While I can't argue with the final summary, I do find some of the individual words, when combined, to be a little weird. You are...

    daringly conventional,
    impetuously courteous,
    retiringly adventurous,
    and my favorite...
    carefully spontaneous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As a result, they may be cool." It's official, you're cool. This test said so. NICE!

    Helen took a similar test and while parts of it totally nailed her, other parts were way off. To me, they seem a lot like a horoscope: If you believe it, it's true. I mean, how can you be impetuous and controlled at the same time? Systematic AND spotaneous?

    But my biggest problem with this assessment is that they left out words that I believe describe you best: honorable, loyal, compassionate, strong like bull. To name a few.

    Then again, I could just be over-sensitive to this whole thing because of my hatred for standardized tests. Especially since most of them don't (and can't) figure in how much confidence someone does or does not have in their answer.

    But I digress. The test said you (and Creative Persons, of which I am one) are cool. That's what's really important, right Fonzie? Ay?

    ReplyDelete