Sunday, July 16, 2006

For Your Listening Pleasure

As some of you know, I have a very extensive music collection. And with a collection so large you end up listening to artists in cycles. You might not listen to something you love for a long, long time. And then you come back to it, sometimes by choice sometimes by accident. And it's magical. It's like hearing it for the first and five hundredth time all at once. You remember sublteties to the song you had forgotten while you sing the lyrics, which flow effortlessly from your mouth.

So it goes for "Not The Girl You Think You Are." Crowded House is my desert island band. Given the choice of a band to listen to forever it would be them (if limited to a single album of theirs it would be Temple Of Low Men.) What can I say? This music strikes me in a very deep and emotional part of my mind. It moves me to my core.

This particular song is horribly tragic with lines such as, "the bathroom mirror makes you look tall." It starts, to steal a phrase, like a rusty squeeze box, and it paints a picture of denial so vivid and familiar, that it makes me hurt. But before it ends I hit the repeat button and can't escape it for the next hour.

And I guess that's what good music is supposed to do; move you in ways you can't control. It sounds hokey, but it anchors me.

3 comments:

  1. You are going to hate me for saying this... I've never listened to Crowded House before. I loved it. I'll have to pay more attention to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, it's never too late to find music this good.
    As with all journeys, you must start at the beginning. Even though I love Temple of Low Men the most, start with their self-titled debut album. You'll recognize Don't Dream It's Over and Something So Strong. Explore their catologue in the order it was released. Their music really evolved over the life of the band and continues to grow in Neil Finn's solo work.

    I envy you hearing this music for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I married this chick? Next thing you know, she'll be all like "Jellyfish, who?"

    ReplyDelete