Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Human Element

"For each of us there’s a moment of discovery. We turn a page. We raise a hand. And just then in the flash of a synapse, we learn that life is elemental. And this knowledge changes everything. We look around and see the grandness of the scheme. Sodium bonding with chlorine, carbon bonding with oxygen, hydrogen bonding with oxygen. We see all things connected. We see life unfold. And in the dazzling briliance of this knowledge, we may overlook the element not listed on the chart. It’s importance so obvious its presence is simply understood. The missing element is the human element. And when we add it to the equation the chemistry changes. Every reaction is different. Potassium looks to bond with potential. Metals behave with hardened resolve. And hydrogen and oxygen form desire. The human element is the element of change. It gives us our footing to stand fearlessly and face the future. It is a way of seeing that gives us a way of touching; Issues, ambitions, lives. The human element. Nothing is more fundamental. Nothing more elemental."

I wish I had written that. It's from a new ad for Dow Chemical. You can see the commercial here. For me, it perfectly expressed how we yearn to be part of something greater and that in rare and sometimes simple moments our best shines through.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, it's not that I don't think this spot works. But because I'm in advertising, I've seen a lot (I mean, a LOT) of ads that've used the idea of creating a new element. Not too long ago, VW did it with Turbonium. So I'm not too crazy about the execution of this ad. But the idea - or more specifically, the copy - works. It says all the right things. I just wish the agency (FCB) could have found a way to keep the ad honest without tacking on an advertising device.

    Here's an example of what I believe to be one of the greatest ads of all time. One that simply states a company's philosophy without gimmick or device. This ad is barely an ad and for that reason, I love it.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=No1MxAnHuJM&search=macintosh%20think%20different

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the "new element" idea has been used before, but lots of people tried to create a flying machine before the Wright Brothers. They just got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone created a flying machine?! FINALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think there is such a thing as an original idea.

    Every note has been played. Mozart combinined notes with silences; but he made it work like never before. And we, the audience, know what we like when we hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, basically, we're agreeing. We just disagree what we're agreeing about. Agreed?

    To quote Matt Groening: Imitation is the sincerest form of copyright infringement.

    Mwah ah ah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that my opinion completely matters.. I actually really like the Dow spot. Unless you are an advertising guru, like Keith the nerd, then you'll never know it was done a million times. That Think Different spot is also amazing, but for the same reason... it tugs at your heart strings. It gives you hope. They are both great spots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have the Greeks behind me! Surrender! Ah-Ah-Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete