Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Captioning With The Stars: The Results Show



After very little deliberation here are the results:

First Place:
Jeremy Frye with "No, I said, 'Duck, Rogers!' Like, a command. Why would I just shout out, 'Buck Rogers?!?'"

I can't really explain it. Maybe it was the well chosen wording. I don't know but I laughed over this one every time I read it. No deductions. It's perfect. Score: 100

Second Place:
Mr. Doob with "Houston...I have a problem.The Eagle has landed...in my pants." for it's infantile and head-on approach. He evokes the spirit of Triumph The Insult Comic.

Minus 20 points for adapting an existing quote. Plus 5 points for giving me the idea for the next caption contest. Score: 85

Third Place:
Wm. with "I'm opening your rod bay door pal." for taking one of the most memorable quotes from what is regarded by some to be the greatest science fiction movie made...and making it gay.

Minus 20 points for giving yourself third place. Score: 80

Honorable Mention:
Boom Boom Becca with "am i crazy or was it a different picture earlier today?" It didn't work at first, but the more I thought about the photo and this quote as something one of them was saying, the more funny it became. It's so far out there it's funny.

Minus 21 points. Ooooohhhh! So Close! Score: 79


Now this picture drew the most submissions so far; 38. And some of them were downright hilarious.

(Also, I remembered something that I learned when Keith and I were going to Dad's Garage regularly; the more rules you place on it, the funnier it is.)

First Place:
Helen the Greek with "You had me at hello." from Jerry Maguire. Far from the obvious. Fresh. Hilarious.

This one's a winner. Another perfect score: 100

Second Place:
Mr. Doob with "Anything so innocent and built like that just gotta be named Lucille." from Cool Hand Luke. This was almost first place but I felt that my love for that particular movie and the fact that I desperately want to be Paul Newman might be clouding my judgement.

Minus 1 point for making me feel conflicted. Score: 99

Third Place:
Boom Boom Becca with "Andie, hon. Listen, it's after 7:00. Don't waste good lip gloss." from Pretty in Pink. I don't know what I found more funny; the quote or the pattern of movies from which all of her submissions were culled.

Minus 5 points for applying a nighttime qoute to a picture obviously taken in the day. Score: (a very respectable) 95

Honorable Mention:
Jeremy Frye with "I first saw her at Palantine Campaign headquarters at 63rd and Broadway. She was wearing a white dress. She appeared like an angel. Out of this filthy mess, she is alone. They... cannot... touch... her." from Taxi Driver. I admired the fact that he found a quote that seemed to focus on the dress. I was looking for movie qoutes about horses and battleships.

Minus 10 points for picking Scorcese since I don't really like any of his movies. Score: 90

8 comments:

  1. I do not recognize anything that rewards Rebecca for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeeeee! I've never placed that high before! And, am I allowed to mention that Keith didn't place at all. He says he's disqualified because he's a writer. All I hear is excuses, excuses. I think this means I have some big 'ol bragging rights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason I didn't make it is because nothing I entered was funny. I used to be funny. Then I got married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant rider. As in Knght Rider. A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. Keith Greenstein, a young loner on a crusade, to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless. In a world of criminals who operate above the law...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just happy to be part of such an elite fighting unit.
    Hey, your next one, following the movie quote one, should feature song lyrics, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually considered that. It's almost too broad. I'm working on restrictions to place on it to make it challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a restriction: It can't be an instrumental song.

    ReplyDelete