Friday, November 10, 2006

Good News Everyone!

I just got a phone call from one of the guys at work.

You see I get called down for drug/alcohol tests all of the time. I think it has something to do with the fact that the Dicktor (that's right I said Dicktor not doctor) at the county health center falsely diagnosed me with "probable alcoholic hepatitis" (never had a drink). I called his diagnosis baseless and he said it wasn't a diagnosis because he only said probable. I fought to have it expunged from my file and lost. We had an hour long meeting which ended with a heated exchange and some choice words.

Anyway, Larry says I get called down because I'm a sure negative and that will keep the department's numbers good. Well, someone else decided to negatively affect the numbers. An Assistant Chief, whom many said would be the next director of the department, a man so consumed with image that he was called Chief Bling behind his back, apparently tried to smuggle someone else's urine into the health center. When confronted he was given the opportunity to test again and either refused or failed. He resigned under impending termination.

This man was in a position to command large scale fires and disasters, where citizens and firefighters' lives are in direct danger. The possibility of him doing so under the influence floors me. How could you live with yourself if someone else got hurt or killed? Then again, how could you live with yourself knowing that everyone knows you had someone else's urine in your pocket?

Long live drug testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment