Friday, January 12, 2007

Contact The Away Team

I don't mean to pick on one person in particular. On the contrary there are a lot of people using them. But last night at basketball practice I finally had enough.

The man that coaches Ben's basketball group always has one of the Blue-Tooth phone earpieces in. Always. I haven't ever seen him without it. And he stresses to the kids that when he blows his whistle they are to be quiet and listen; they are to give him their undivided attention. See the problem here?

How can you stress someone giving you their attention when you have prepared yourself to be interrupted at a moment's notice? And we've all seen these people. You at first think they are talking to you. Then you realize that they are talking to their own ear.

I guess this goes to the whole "How connected should we be?" discussion. I'm as guilty of it as anyone with a cell phone. Even though you can opt not to answer it, the person you are conversing with is distracted wondering if you are going to answer it.

Still, I'm not going to stick one of those damn things in my ear. No, even Uhura took hers out when she wasn't using it. I think I'll wait for the Star Fleet insignia that you wear on your chest and use as a communicator. Engage!


(On a side note. When you search Google images for the name "Uhura" the first, and most popular image is a painting of her nude. The next is a picture of her in fetish boots. What's going on with the Trekkies? Have we underestimated them?)

No comments:

Post a Comment