Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm Concerned About How Eager You Are To Incorrectly Use The Word Anxious

Alright, folks. Let's clear this up once and for all:

To be "anxious" about something infers hesitation, nervousness, unease, fearfulness, trepidation...in a word: anxiety. You aren't anxious to open Christmas gifts unless you're wondering why the box with holes in it isn't making sounds anymore. Be "eager" all you want. It's the pleasant one.

P.S. It's not, "I could care less" unless you are trying to illustrate that very point. The expression is "I couldn't care less." As in I have nothing left to give you; I'm at the bottom.

And I do care that you keep saying this wrong. But it's possible you couldn't care less that I care.

REQUESTED ADDENDUM: Chosen©er has commented that he would like me to address the difference between "flesh out" and "flush out."

As noted on the website Common Errors In English, located in the links to the right, the two terms are not interchangeable but are somewhat similar. I quote their entry:

To “flesh out” an idea is to give it substance, as a sculptor adds clay flesh to a skeletal armature. To “flush out” a criminal is to drive him or her out into the open. The latter term is derived from bird-hunting, in which one flushes out a covey of quail. If you are trying to develop something further, use “flesh”; but if you are trying to reveal something hitherto concealed, use “flush.”

That's pretty straightforward, but, then, so was the whole "couldn't care less" issue. Confusion is to be expected in situations involving a partial truth that is being withheld for an unspecified reason. For instance, if a murderer was being interrogated by the police, they might want to flesh out the details of how he committed the crime, of which they might know some of the details, while flushing out a motive from the perpetrator.

Things get really confusing if the victim is a rhinoceros and the murderer is a bird hiding in grass. I would be anxious about interrogating the bird.

4 comments:

  1. Can you help a brutha out and post an entry about the whole Flesh Out/Flush Out thing? If I hear one more person tell me they need to take a germ of an idea and basically send it through the waste management system, I'm gonna go crazy. I am EAGER to see your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who or Whom would you like me to direct it to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure whether I further or farther from this subject matter.

    Maybe if someone is anxious to open a present...maybe it's from someone that doesn't like them. That could cause anxiety...right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you guys are being way overdramiculous about this. a rose is a rose by any other name smells as sweet, ya know, right? Am I right??

    PV

    ReplyDelete