Thursday, February 07, 2008

When Television Was Awesome

I just stumbled upon the intro to Space 1999 and I was blown away. I remembered it being cool but I had completely forgotten just how cool. Anyway, it got me thinking: What are the all-time great beginnings to television shows. I'm not talking theme music. I'm talking about the marriage of great theme music with awesome visuals. Three that immediately come to mind are below.


Space 1999
This is awesome for so many reasons that should be obvious - the overly dramatic theme, the quick cuts of non-action scenes including people walking and people standing, the title cards that scream at you hints of what's to come in tonight's episode. I could go on and on.




The Streets of San Francisco
This might be my all time favorite. One of the channels years ago used to run this all the time. I was addicted. I love it for the funky theme and the off-beat cuts. Also, the graphics of the bars sliding in to reveal the actors is brilliant. Quinn Martin productions always had guest stars, which was code for we can't pay them enough so we put their faces and names in the opening sequence as part of their salary. Every episode had a title, four acts, and an epilogue where we most likely learned our lesson.

The Rockford Files
I would have embedded the video but the guy that uploaded it to YouTube disabled embedding. Dunno why. Anyway you can view it there if you click on the link above. I love it for the answering machine message at the beginning which always somehow poked fun at Rockford's condition in life. Right when the punchline of the message hit the theme started not unlike the snare/cymbal kick that horrible comedian's used to use to drive jokes home. The visuals for the opening sequence are actually stills but are edited to infer motion. It's really kind of cool and something that I always wanted to rip off when I was still considering doing that kind of thing for a living.

10 comments:

  1. I really, really miss the whole "event" atmosphere of the old shows and movie trailers. Maybe Keith understands why that doesn't work anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO-Season Two of Space 1999 is a better marriage of music & title sequence. Maybe it's because it's the one I remember from when I was a kid.

    I used to really dig that show. Luckily since 1999 has passed...perhaps it won't be "re-imagined". Then again...I think it was called Moonbase:Alpha for a while in reruns. With the writers strike...who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I amend my previous post...the quick cut style of Season one is better but I still prefer season two's theme.

    Plus...it had the kinda hot chick that could turn into animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Additionally...I have always dug Quinn Martin shows & really like most of his shows' title sequences. Check out Mannix & Ironside. Sure, Streets of SF is the pinnacle...but he has a lot of other good ones. Even Quincy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten the beginning to Quincy. That's a pretty good one. The best part being Jack Klugman as a lady's man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Call me nuts, but the Hardy Boys/nancy drew Mysteries has one of my favorite openings.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLZXuUehvY

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is always this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77H5nHdcyQM

    I know Bill loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more & I'll stop.

    This actually one of my favorites. I used to catch this on Sunday afternoon reruns around 75-76. Right after the Flying Nun.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHC44ARF0s

    I always thought it was pretty awesome. Plus...the show had Bill Cosby in a serious role. How often did that ever happen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I totally missed the fact that The Avengers circa Diana Rigg did the same thing with still images as The Rockford Files. Or maybe it should be the other way around. Like most people in America, I probably knew about the Rockford Files before ever learning (if even) about The Avengers (Thank God for A&E in the mid-90's).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmgrnsaE1U

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend of mine with the initials DL just e-mailed me with the following:

    Okay, I just watched Hawaii 5-0 tonight and I have to say that is one of the best TV show intros. You know, the big wave, the big zoom all the way to the top of the building to Steve Mcgarrett, Dan-O looking through the big hole in the glass. Awesome.

    Oh and don't forget the Hawaiian guys on the outrigger paddling like crazy at the end.

    Awesome intro and awesome outro!

    ReplyDelete