Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What Did She Say?

I was surfing the channels and came across Entertainment Tonight. Now, I don't watch those kind of shows because they are exactly the kind of sensationalism that I think will be the death of society. I know that the cable company is keeping track of what I'm watching so I make sure I don't let them think I'm even considering it.

However, as I'm surfing the story is about a teen that auditioned for American Idol named Temptress and her mother "going out to a restaurant." The mother is about 600 lbs and only able to move via a large wheelchair. Temptress herself is, by my estimation, around 300 lbs.

Don't get me wrong; I truly sympathize with the morbidly obese. I believe that there are yet undiscovered genetic factors which contribute to the condition. Everyone's body is different. But in the end, you have to agree that regardless of why you do it, it's all about how much food you put into your body.

Anyway, in the restaurant her mother remarks to the cameras, "I know I'm not the best example for Temptress. I just don't want to be too hard on her. I don't want her to be bulimic or anorexic."

Long pause. Back the Tivo up and turn on the closed captioning.............Yeah, she said it. She's afraid of her 300 lbs daughter developing an eating disorder.

Maybe it was the pressure of being in front of the cameras and not being able to think of anything to say. Maybe she really thinks that. Regardless, it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard someone say. It ranks right up there with "I didn't inhale."

So then, why did Entertainment Tonight broadcast that sound bite as one of the few things that her mother says during the whole segment? The clip leads you to believe that the show facilitated getting her mother out and to the restaurant. It was produced to be a feel-good piece. So why intentionally leave in a comment that makes the mother look so ignorant?

You know, I began this entry merely to log something ridiculous that I heard. But as I wrote I realized that the really ridiculous part of the whole thing was the part the producers played. I'm off to e-mail the show.

Don't watch that show or any like them. That crap will rot your brain. Really.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain.

    My wife has started referring to TMZ as "the news".

    She's kidding, of course. But...it does make the skin crawl a bit.

    ReplyDelete