Monday, July 06, 2015

Cooler Than The Center Seed of a Cucumber


After a somewhat frustrating drive yesterday, filled with idiot drivers and biblical downpours, I have arrived at the beach. I got here pretty late in the afternoon as it was just beginning to rain here, so I didn't see the above beach message until I woke up this morning and wandered out onto the balcony to read my book and check the Internet. Needless to say, "patriotism swells in the heart of the American bear."

Now, the title of this post is a reference from an old Andy Griffith episode (points to you if you recognized it) and my use of it is in two parts.

First, Paula has requested that I be "Andy Griffith" on this trip. Apparently I can be irascible at times. She has very pointedly reminded me on previous trips that "exposure to one grumpy uncle twice a year" isn't going to fix whatever it was I was complaining about. And I'm assuming she has requested I behave in a manner that she knows I'm capable of, though sometimes easily led away from, so I'm going to do my best because she deserves it.

Second, for some reason the beach smells like cucumbers. And not the real cucumber (which I don't care for at all) but the kind of cucumber scent they use in air freshener that is supposed to smell like cucumber (which I really don't care for.) And now I have the Bee Gees' Cucumber Castle in my head. 

Well, my view of the beach has within a matter of minutes just been socked in with fog. Looks like I brought bad weather with me. I can't remember an episode of Andy Griffith that involved fog, but I'm sure he would find a silver lining so I will as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment