Thursday, September 14, 2006

Jury Duty Update

I couldn't resist and I googled the defendant's name in the case that I was a juror for (see previous entries below). The actual stabbing in the case I heard took place last November. Turn's out this defendant stabbed someone in July, just four months earlier. It happened in Maine while he was working for an Atlanta company. He apparently left a restaurant with a coworker and in the parking lot decided to stab the guy...wait for it...twice; once in the stomach and once in the bicep. Just as in the case I heard, he represented himself and claimed self-defense only the jurors of Maine believed him and he was acquitted. It was mentioned in the articles that even though a police officer had broken up the fight/stabbing, the knife could not be located.

The only other search return on his name was a verdict in a civil lawsuit regarding alleged procedural errors when he was released from prison at some point earlier than these two stabbings. He sued the warden and lost. Odds are he was in prison for stabbing someone since the little bird told me the stabbing I sat as juror for was his third.

He must have taken the name he goes by now in prison. It's an African phrase for a first name, an area of Africa for a middle name, and a dark color for a last name. I believe that he probably found religion in prison, changed his name, and learned a little bit about the law. But as we all know the only thing more dangerous than not knowing is knowing only a little bit. He is no lawyer, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment